When my Dad didn’t know what to cook he would grab whatever we had in the kitchen and start cooking. Often times, we had the ingredients to make little pizzas. He would take some French bread, a can of Rotel tomatoes, and some other goodies and whip it up. It was quick and easy.
In college, I tended to default to this recipe. It was cheap and great for my budget. There were times I didn’t have French bread so I had to come up with an alternative. I used biscuits instead of the bread and it was great. Whenever my work or class had a potluck I made these bites and everyone loved them!
You can make these with or without meat so they’re great for vegetarians. The pictures in this recipe are for a group of about 20 people. If you want it for fewer you can cut everything in half.
2 Cans of biscuits
2 Cans of Rotel Tomatoes (choose your level of spice)
1 pkg of lunch meat (turkey, chicken, or ham)
1 pkg of Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven according to biscuit directions and follow that for cooking the biscuits.
- Once the biscuits are cooked, turn the oven down to 350 F. Cut the biscuits in half and lay them flat on the trays. (If you burned the bottom like I’ve done quite a few times try scrapping the burnt part off with a knife or grater.)
- Open the cans of Rotel and drain the juice. Evenly divide the contents of cans over the biscuits.
- Apply according to your taste the seasonings mentioned above.
- Spread the meat out on top of the biscuits. You can put as little or as much as you want. If you’re vegetarian, you can leave this step out.
- Place the Mozzarella cheese on top. 1 package is good, but if you’re a cheese lover you might want to get a second.
- Top it all off with some more basil and oregano.
- Stick it in the oven for 4 minutes (until the cheese is soft).
- Broil the biscuits for about 3 min 30 sec (give or take depending on your oven). Make sure to take them out before they burn.
- Serve on a plate and enjoy!